I’d like to thank everyone who came to the bike touring dinner last night (Jan 10, 2009), and also those that wanted to attend, but couldn’t make it, due to the wintry weather. Despite the weather, we had 29 people attend, including two who arrived at the Ellis Hollow Community Center by bike! Andy Goodell and Jeff Bateman both deserve an award for biking in such challenging weather conditions.
We had an overflowing amount of pizza, since the order was placed several hours before the get-together, when not even one flake of snow had fallen. There was a nice variety of side-dishes and desserts, too — thanks for bringing them. We spent the first hour or so eating and socializing as people arrived at slightly different times, due to the weather. Around 6:15 pm we started the slide presentations. I’ll try to post the slide presentations on a website within the next couple of days, for everyone to view. Here is a list of what was presented:
- Steve Powell — Recap of 2008 FLCC Touring Group tours, and ideas for 2009 tours
- Bonnie Powell — Erie Canal photos and proposal for 2009 Kids/Teen tour
- Lois Chaplin — Bike train trip to Old Forge
- Steve Bowman — Ridge of the Rockies PacTour bike tour (Canada to Mexico)
- Jeff Bateman — Lake Champlain and Vermont bike tour
- Mary Bouchard — Travel and biking in Thailand
- Juan Salazar — Lancaster County, PA and winter biking in/near Ithaca
- Kyra Stephanoff — Vermont and Finger Lakes bike touring
Some ideas/suggestions for 2009 FLCC Touring Group tours included:
- Weekend tours (3 or 4):
- Ottawa Jail Hostel (Memorial Day weekend)
- Ithaca to Chenango Valley State Park
- Ithaca Finger Lakes (Treman, Watkins Glen S.P.)
- Erie Canal (Fairport to Holley) — especially for Kids/Teens
- Ludlow, VT Hostel
- Pine Creek Trail (near Wellsboro, PA)
- Niagara Peninsula
- 10 day Tours (1 or 2):
- Rochester/Lake Ontario/Niagara & back by Erie Canal
- Ottawa/Montreal/Laurentiens Loop (including Le Petit Train du Nord)
- Rocky Mountains Loop (WY/ID or Banff/Jasper)
We briefly discussed each of the above suggestions, and will continue the discussion to settle upon the final tours and dates. We will also have a general interest/organizing meeting for the FLCC Touring Group in the spring.
We spent the final half hour last night socializing and doing some bargaining for the bike parts that a few of us brought for the swap. The evening wrapped up around 8:15 pm.
P.S. Thanks to those who came early and stayed late for the set-up and clean-up last night (Andrejs Ozolins, Wayne Gottlieb, Steve Bowman, Jill & Bonnie Powell, and everyone who helped with the chairs).